WTSR 91.3 FM is a non-commercial, educational radio station whose license is held by The College of New Jersey. Alternative, Oldies, Electronica, Folk, Rock, World, Reggae, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Local and National News, and Public Affairs programs are broadcast 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Listeners (and announcers) represent a true cross section of the community: business people, retirees, faculty, alumni, students and residents of the area. These are the people who will hear your message throughout Central New Jersey and Greater Bucks County. Our broadcast range is 50-60 miles– south to Willingboro, north to Flemington, east to Doyelstown, PA and west to Twin Rivers. Estimated population coverage is 100,000.
How Does Underwriting Work?
91.3 WTSR-FM is owned by and located at The College of New Jersey. The College is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and therefore all your donations including program underwriting are tax-deductible.
As an alternative to advertising, underwriting is a way for you or your business (or non-profit organization) to gain community-wide recognition for your support of WTSR and its commitment to quality and diverse programming. In addition to being a very wise investment for you, the on-air acknowledgements enhance your image as participants in, and supporters of organizations in our community. With over fifty programs per week, ranging in length from 5 minutes to 4 hours, there are many from which to choose that will most effectively showcase your business or organization.
You may elect to underwrite one or more regular programs. In return, the announcer of the sponsored program will read your message (see FCC Regulations and sample underwriting).
Underwriting Contract commitments vary and an advance installment is required. Contact MaryJo Lambino (firstname.lastname@example.org), Grants & Funding Director, for rate sheets and payment alternatives. Once initial payment is received and contract begins, reminders are mailed by the 10th of the following month, with payment due by the 25th.
What Content May I Have in My Underwriting Announcement?
WTSR is committed to creating high quality, professional-sounding announcements. Our Underwriting Manager will work with you to maximize your message within the parameters set by the FCC (see FCC Underwriting Guidelines below). We are confident that you will be satisfied with our representation of your business. To receive a complete Underwriting Packet or for information on pricing, contracts and other aspects of WTJU’s sponsorship, please contact our funding director at email@example.com.
The following are sample underwriting announcements:
- Today’s programming is brought to you by Joe’s Mill Hill Saloon, featuring The G clef Singers May10, with the King’s lead guitarist’s jazz instrumental quartet performing electronic, experimental, and rock-based music. More information is available at (609) 394-7222 or themillhillsaloon.com.
- Support for this program is provided in part by Panera Bread. Panera has grilled breakfast sandwiches every morning. Soups, salads and panini sandwiches all day long. And bread baked by bakers every day. PaneraBread.com
- “Transmission Control” is supported in part by Princeton Record Exchange. Princeton Record Exchange is located at 20 South Tulane St. Princeton, NJ 08542. Open Monday thru Saturday 10-9pm and Sunday 11-6PM, the number for more information is 609.921.0881.
FCC/WTSR Underwriting Regulations and Policies
Due to FCC regulations of non-commercial airwaves there are several rules we must abide by in any underwriting announcement. The following is a brief description of what can and cannot be used:
Legal or trade name must be stated to identify the underwriter
Any or all of the following may be used in acknowledgment copy:
- Telephone number, email address, web site and location of business or area served
- Days of operation
- A listing of up to three products or services
- Product origin (“French wine”)
- Intended use of product, (“children’s clothing”)
- Product content, (“wool suits”)
- Form of delivery, or method of preparation, (“Delivered by rickshaw” or “cooked with bottled water”)
None of the following may be used in acknowledgment copy:
- Qualitative language, (wonderful; homemade)
- Comparative language, (better; most)
- “Calls to action,” (call today, come by)
- Location of business using another business as a reference, (…located next door to?)
- Number of years in business
- First person statements, (I)
- Second person statements, (you)
Corporate non-promotional slogans may be used in underwriting acknowledgments if they are in well-established use by the business and the wording stays within the spirit of these guidelines and the FCC regulations. Underwriters may state support for the arts in general terms, but may only name WTSR specifically, (the arts and WTSR).
All underwriting copy, including corporate slogans, is subject to the approval of the General Manager of WTSR-FM. Underwriting is support for current programs at WTSR. Financial support does not in any way imply that sponsors may influence program content or programming decisions.